Preferred Hiring Criteria
Miller & Martin believes the quality of its lawyers to be the fundamental ingredient to its long term success as a law firm.
Accordingly, the firm places a strong emphasis on academic and professional excellence. The firm hires for character,
attitude, ability and commitment when recruiting either lawyers fresh out of school or veteran attorneys in specific fields.
Our Non-Discrimination Policy
Miller & Martin PLLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; religion; national origin; sex; sexual orientation; gender identity and/or expression; age; disability; citizenship status; military service obligations or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Miller & Martin’s lateral hiring goal is to add attorneys to the firm who are motivated to collaborate as a team, dedicated to perform at a high level for our clients and eager to contribute to the firm’s diverse and driven culture. Our firm takes pride in offering the benefits and resources of a larger firm, enabling lawyers to maintain a positive work-life balance in an encouraging and productive work environment.
Miller & Martin has a customized integration program for each individual hire to ensure a smooth transition and to facilitate acclimation to the firm in their new role. A team of directors, staff and other attorneys come together to assist new attorneys with “go-to” resources in offering information and facilitating introductions within the firm. This team approach connects new attorneys within the firm and helps build strong relationships with new and existing clients.
Every year, attorneys from Miller & Martin participate in a number of on-campus interview programs at law schools throughout the country and review resumes from numerous law schools to help identify strong candidates for the firm’s Summer Associate Program. Miller & Martin’s Summer Program is a six-week program that consists of both 1L and 2L students. We look for candidates with strong academic achievements, law journal and extracurricular efforts, and applicable career experience. Our goal in the law school recruiting program is to find individuals who have the potential for an outstanding legal career and who can contribute significantly to the firm, our clients and the communities in which we live and work.
We understand this program is a two-way street and therefore make every effort to expose our Summer Associates to a wide range of activities, including:
- Exposure to firm clients via onsite client visits.
- Exposure to the court system.
- Opportunities to produce and assist on various client legal documents.
- Participating in various research projects.
- Opportunities to explore and gain a better understanding of the different practice areas within the firm.
- Social outings and activities to promote networking, as well as an immersion into the culture of the community.
An important feature of our Summer Program is our mentoring program. In an effort to provide guidance and insight into the legal career, each Summer Associate is matched with a mentoring team to serve as a resource during projects, and provide insight into important issues, to include work-life balance and firm-culture.
Typically, Miller & Martin looks to the summer associate classes to fill our 1st year associate needs. With that in mind, we make a conscious effort to expose candidates to various Department Chairs and Hiring Committee members, all of whom assist in tracking their progress and performance throughout the program. In an effort to provide ample feedback, we conduct mid-summer and end-of-summer reviews with each Summer Associate.
Questions about our summer program, as well as application materials from interested students, can be directed to the firm’s Assistant Director of Human Resources, Caitlin Ross.
Miller & Martin offers its employees a challenging and collaborative environment to aid in our mission of delivering outstanding client service. For nearly 150 years, Miller & Martin has employed professional staffs who are dedicated to providing advanced legal administrative support in the delivery of efficient business processes and procedures. The firm employs talented, motivated individuals who possess exceptional communication and leadership skills. We believe that teamwork is an essential component in providing high-quality legal services and we value the talents and skills of our entire staff.
Life at Miller Martin
For nearly 150 years, Miller & Martin has taken great pride in our legal work and our people. The firm is committed to long-term, rewarding careers and to the growth and development of all our employees. Miller & Martin is privileged to have employees whose longevity brings a high level of commitment, experience and dedication to its client service. We are a traditional firm with a culture of family that offers a positive and rewarding work atmosphere. At Miller & Martin, we know our people are our greatest asset and we must have a commitment to our workforce and their careers. We offer comprehensive and competitive benefits and salaries to our employees. Our goal is to attract and retain a team of professionals that is the very best in the workforce. It is our belief that with the right employees, our firm will continue to grow and prosper in the future.
Miller & Martin recognizes that a diverse workforce and inclusive work environment are necessary if we are to effectively understand and serve our clients and value the different backgrounds and experiences of all our employees. Through recruitment, hiring, retention and advancement, the firm continues its commitment to diversity in the workplace.
An environment of inclusion is a priority at Miller & Martin, and our Diversity Committee provides the leadership and support to maintain this atmosphere. The Committee is responsible for implementing the firm's Diversity initiatives.
In the Profession
- Curtis Martin is Past President of the Gate-City Bar Association and inducted into the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity Fellows Program. He also received the National Bar Association's 2012 Presidential Award.
- Marcy Eason was selected to be a National Delegate for Tennessee for Vision 2020, a nationwide initiative focused on women's economic and social equality.
- Jimar Sanders was named to Lawyers of Color's Inaugural Hot List.
- April Holland was named to Lawyers of Color's Hot List.
Involvement & Support
The firm participates in and supports numerous diversity-related efforts, including:
- American Bar Association
- Minority Counsel Program
- Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession's Minority Counsel Program
- Gate City Bar Association
- Hall of Fame Dinner
- Community Law Clinic
- Justice Robert Benham Law Camp
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Frontiers International--Chattanooga African-American Chamber of Commerce
- Lawyers Association for Women
- National Civil Rights Museum Capital Campaign
- Tennessee State University Foundation Scholarship Gala
- Urban League of Greater Chattanooga
Miller & Martin actively recruits diverse and female candidates for our summer program through on-campus interviews, resume drops and several regional and local minority job fairs, including the Southeastern Minority Job Fair and the Damali Booker 1L Minority Job Fair.
Below is a list of some of the minority organizations the firm supports:
- The University of Tennessee College of Law's Annual Julian Blackshear Jr. Scholarship Gala to honor one of its first African American graduates, Julian Blackshear, Jr.
- Atlanta Bar Association’s Minority and Diversity Clerkship Program
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity's 1L Scholars Program
- National Black Law Students Association
Miller & Martin is always seeking qualified applicants. If you are interested in potential opportunities with us, please send your cover letter and resume to Caitlin Ross.