International/World Law Group
In today’s world, there are no “borders to business.” Members of our International Group recognized this fact more than 30 years ago, and we have been representing American companies in connection with inbound and outbound business opportunities, investments and joint ventures with other companies from countries around the globe, including Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Indonesia, Vietnam, Brazil, Australia, Mexico, Canada and many others.
To enhance the value of the professional services provided to the Miller & Martin clients with international business, one of the members, Thomas J. Harrold Jr., assisted in the founding of the World Law Group* in 1987, which has now grown to be recognized by Chambers as being in the Elite Band 1 international legal network, consisting of 54 law firms located in 75 countries and bringing together the resources of 18,000+ attorneys from all over the globe. Tom Harrold served as President of the World Law Group from 1995-1997, and Joe DeLisle currently serves on the Board. Mr. Harrold also serves on the Boards of many international organizations including the German American Chamber of Commerce, the Japan America Society, the Goethe Institute and has been active with the Swedish American Chamber, the British American Business Group, the Atlanta Council of International Relations, the Society of International Business Fellows and the World Affairs Council.
The independent firms that comprise the World Law Group are typically the leading law firms in the countries where they are located and work closely with the members of the Miller & Martin International Group to provide high-quality and cost-effective service for American companies pursuing business opportunities in other countries.
In addition to the international reach, the members of the Miller & Martin International Group have experience representing European, Asian, Australian and South American companies investing in the Southeastern United States with the opening of new manufacturing and distribution facilities and real estate investments. We have experience with international tribunals in The Hague, Netherlands, which is the seat of the International Court of Justice. One of the firm’s attorneys is currently on leave to act as the Executive Director for the Atlanta Center for International Arbitration and Mediation at Georgia State University College of Law.
Miller & Martin provides to international companies locating in the Southeast a full range of services including patent & trademark, corporate, labor and employment, international tax planning and incentive negotiations.
*Note: The members of the World Law Group are independent and autonomous firms and are not affiliated for the joint practice of law. Each member firm is solely responsible for its work product and staff and provides professional services to its respective clients on an individual basis.
- Represented a publicly listed Australian company in its $50 million acquisition of a U.S. based pharmaceutical brand and related assets, including a corresponding U.S. private equity offering and Australian public equity offering.
- Represented a recognized leader in home warranty, home inspection services and commercial inspections in its acquisition by a leading provider of title insurance, technology and transaction services to the real estate and mortgage industries.
- Represented a publicly listed Australian pharmaceutical company in the refinancing of $125 million of its debt.
- Represented a publicly listed Australian pharmaceutical company in an agreement with a U.S.-based pharmaceutical company to invest $2.5 million in return for additional common stock.
- Represented a Belgium carpet company in establishing a 500,000 square foot facility.
- Represented one of the largest companies from the Republic of China, Taiwan, in establishing an $80 million plastic pipe manufacturing facility.
- Represented one of the world's largest diaper manufacturers in establishing a $50 million manufacturing facility.
- Represented one of the world's largest chemical companies in negotiating the incentive package for a $210 million facility.
- Assisted a major U.S. based telecommunications company with a joint venture in Thailand.
- Obtained a $2 million award from the London Arbitration Council for a Danish shipping Company.
- Represented one of the largest electronic companies in Japan with its trading activities in North and South America.
- Negotiating and facilitating the acquisition of soft drink manufacturing plants for the world's largest soft drink bottling organization.