Bryan Cavan concentrates his practice in business litigation with an emphasis in construction and surety law and employment law. Mr. Cavan serves as general counsel for a number of companies, assisting them in business problem solving. He represents clients in numerous areas including UCC, breach of contract, construction claims, insurance coverage, employment issues, covenants, and trade secrets. Mr. Cavan has written and lectured extensively on a variety of topics relating to his areas of practice, as well as serving as an instructor for the Trial Techniques Program at Emory University School of Law since 1983.
Mr. Cavan has served the construction industry for two decades and understands the industry's legal needs. His clients include local and regional general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals in matters ranging from contract negotiation and drafting to dispute avoidance and resolution. An accomplished commercial litigator, Mr. Cavan is experienced in and dedicated to alternative forms of dispute resolution, including arbitration, mediation, and negotiation. He serves on the National Panel of Neutrals for the American Arbitration Association. He also has successfully argued numerous appellate cases, including several decisions involving matters of first impression before the Georgia Courts.
Atlanta Magazine named Mr. Cavan as one of the Georgia Super Lawyers for 2004-2006 and 2009-2013. In addition to his practice, Mr. Cavan was 2009-2010 President for the State Bar of Georgia and also serves on its Board of Governors and Executive Committee. He has chaired several statewide committees for the Bar, including the State Disciplinary Board Investigative Panel. Mr. Cavan has served on numerous professional and civic committees, and is a cofounder and Former President of the DeKalb Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, an organization created to assist low income persons in need of legal help.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1967
- B.A., Belmont Abbey College, 1964
- A.A., St. Thomas Seminary, 1962
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Georgia Super Lawyers®, 2004-2006 and 2009-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Litigation-Construction since 2009
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2008-2009
- American Arbitration Association, National Panel of Neutrals - Certified Mediator
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society
- DeKalb Bar Association - President, 1982-1983
- DeKalb Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- The Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- State Bar of Georgia - President, 2009; President-Elect, 2008-2009; Secretary, 2007-2008; Treasurer, 2005-2007; Executive Committee, 1999-2009; Board of Governors, 1995-2009