Curtis Martin practices in the areas of business litigation and labor and employment. He has extensive experience representing clients in state and federal courts in claims involving breach of contract, business torts, premises liability and employment matters. Mr. Martin represents clients in various industries to include manufacturing, banking, hospitality, entertainment and transportation.
Mr. Martin's labor and employment practice is focused on the defense of local and national clients against claims involving wrongful discharge, discrimination, retaliation and adherence to federal and state statutes governing workplace issues. Mr. Martin also counsels employers on day-to-day employment issues and defends against claims brought in the collective bargaining process and those brought in state and federal courts.
Appear before EEOC, DOL, state/local agencies and federal courts defending claims under Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA and various state laws.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a national bottling company in multi-plaintiff employment litigation in New Jersey, with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, affirming summary judgment against all plaintiffs who appealed.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of bottler in an Ohio matter alleging race and national origin discrimination.
- Successfully defended national client in several Michigan matters alleging violation of Title VII and FMLA.
- Successfully resolved a race and national origin discrimination matter in federal court in New Jersey.
- Successfully defended faith-based client in lawsuit alleging violations of ADEA, ADA and FMLA.
- Represented franchise owners and operators in numerous workplace violation actions before the EEOC.
Represent clients ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies in disputes in federal and state courts as well as alternative dispute forums.
- Obtained substantial judgment on behalf of clients involved in a dispute related to ownership interest in an investment company.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of national bank related to failure of high net worth individuals to satisfy loan obligations.
- Represented the FDIC as receiver of a failed financial institution, as part of a team conducting professional liability investigation and prosecuting D&O lawsuit.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against faith-based client in lawsuit alleging tort and invasion of privacy claims.
- Defended national auto parts manufacturer in tort related lawsuits.
- Defended national trucking company in tort lawsuits.
- Represented numerous companies in breach of contract and business tort matters.
Represent companies and individual clients in a wide range of entertainment and litigation matters. Also, provide counseling to clients on various issues related to business disputes, litigation prevention and non-litigation matters.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of music production company for claims of breach of contract, fraud and unjust enrichment.
- Successfully defended film production company in claims alleging breach of contract and several business torts.
- Represented award winning music producer in royalty dispute arising from breach of Producer Agreement.
- Assist video production company with business formation, investment agreements and securing intellectual property rights for the production of award winning faith-based fitness videos.
- Represented international tour company in multi-million dollar matter involving scheme to defraud World Cup ticket holders.
- Defended music production company in lawsuit alleging breach of contract arising from use of recording studio.
- Defended concert promotion company in claims arising from breach of contract and failure of artists to appear for scheduled performances.
- Represented numerous entertainment industry clients in trademark and copyright infringement matters.
- Advised faith-based media company on issues related to digital media production and distribution.
- J.D., Valparaiso University School of Law, 2003
- B.A., Radford University College of Business and Economics, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- Georgia Trial and Appellate Courts
- "Who's Who in Black Atlanta," 2009-2010, 2012-2016
- Savoy Magazine - Most Influential Black Lawyers in America, 2015
- Georgia Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars, 2010-2014
- National Bar Association - President's Award, 2012
- Atlanta Business Journal - Who's Who in Law and Accounting, 2011
- Atlanta Business League - Men of Influence, 2011
- Atlanta Business Journal - "40 on the Rise," 2009
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity - Fellow
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Atlanta Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2013-2015
- Atlanta Bar Association, Judicial Selection and Tenure Committee - Chair
- Atlanta Bar Association, Minority & Diversity Clerkship Program - Co-Chair
- Gate City Bar Association - Past President
- State Bar of Georgia
- National Bar Association
- Radford University College of Business and Economics, Advisory Board
- Crabapple Crossing Elementary School (Milton), School Governance Council - Vice Chair
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, Board of Directors, 2010-2011
- Horizons Atlanta, Board of Directors, 2008-2014
- St. James United Methodist Church (Alpharetta) - Member
- Jack & Jill of America, Inc., Greater North Atlanta Chapter - Father’s Auxiliary
- Youth mentor and public speaker
- Curtis J. Martin II Named to Savoy Magazine's 2015 Most Influential Black Lawyers in America
- Curtis Martin II Featured in Article by The International Music Conference Magazine
- Fifteen Miller & Martin Attorneys Included in 2014 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Curtis J. Martin II Featured in Attorney at Law Magazine
- 2013 Georgia Super Lawyers Includes 11 Miller & Martin Attorneys
- Curtis J. Martin II Receives the National Bar Association President's Award
- Gate City Bar Association has been Recognized as the National Bar Association Chapter of the Year
- Radford University Alumni Spotlight: Curtis Martin
- Curtis J. Martin II: Future is Bright for Precedent-Setting Attorney, Atlanta Tribune
- 2012 Georgia Super Lawyers® Includes 10 Miller & Martin Attorneys
Curtis has completed the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain on three separate occasions. He is also an avid golfer, jazz connoisseur and fitness enthusiast.