Edward Newsom concentrates his practice in product liability and toxic torts as a poised trial lawyer. In his more than 35 years of experience, he has tried approximately 60 cases to verdict in state and federal courts in and outside Georgia, including catastrophic loss cases. He has an impressive trial resume with only one verdict exceeding the amount offered.
He serves as national trial counsel for a Fortune 400 company related to the company’s asbestos and toxic torts litigation. Serving in this role for more than 15 years, he has been responsible for the successful resolution of more than 1,000 litigated claims and cases for the national retailer. Eddie’s experience litigating catastrophic “bet-the-company” cases, as well as cases with lesser exposure, equips him with a unique perspective to distinguish the difference and decide the most appropriate and efficient approaches to protect his clients’ legal interests. For example, he recently successfully represented a company in a $267 million, seven-week trial in which his clients obtained a defense verdict and ultimately recovered $3 million in attorneys' fees following six years of litigation.
- Serving as national trial counsel for a Fortune 400 company for over 15 years, in defending toxic torts litigation.
- Tried approximately 60 cases to verdict in State and Federal courts in and outside of Georgia.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 1982
- Holderness Moot Court Bench (National Team Selection)
- B.A., University of North Carolina, 1979
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Martindale-Hubbell® - AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Georgia Trend magazine - Legal Elite - General Practice/Trial Law and Personal Injury, 2012-2014
- Georgia Super Lawyers® - Personal Injury, 2017
- State Bar of Georgia
In addition to raising (and recently marrying off) his two daughters, one of Eddie’s proudest accomplishments is saving a drowning child while vacationing at Myrtle Beach. When unwinding, he enjoys cheering on the Tar Heels and watching his daughter play collegiate soccer, as well as playing the best golf courses he can find.