Ellis practices in business and commercial dispute resolution. While Ellis has a wide range of litigation experience, he focuses his practice on matters involving accounting or other financial issues given his CPA designation and related experience as a financial auditor for a global accounting firm. Ellis also has significant experience in construction and real estate matters such as construction project disputes, property ownership disputes, HOA disputes, quiet title actions and partition matters. Ellis most enjoys using a collaborative approach with his clients and colleagues to provide a comprehensive set of services, and he believes his clients are best served when they receive the full benefit of the vast experience offered by Miller & Martin.
- Successfully obtained trial verdict for a large real estate developer in a complicated property ownership dispute that threatened the development of a neighborhood.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of a lawsuit seeking millions of dollars in tort liability from a national lending agency by a bonding company seeking contribution for the failure of a major real estate development. Attorney fee award obtained.
- Assisted financial institutions on numerous litigation matters concerning various aspects of the lending function and related financial analysis.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of a complicated and prolonged Peer Review/HCQIA lawsuit asserted by a physician against the medical staff officers of a hospital when the physician's privileges were terminated.
- Assisted major health insurance company in resolving issues pertaining to significant data breach involving personal health information.
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Tennessee Law School, 2007
- Awarded the "Robert E. Pryor Award of Excellence in Advocacy"
- Dean's List
- Judicial Externship with Mary Beth Leibowitz
- Legal Clinic – Successfully conducted full trial as student attorney and obtained relief sought for pro bono client
- M.Acc., University of Tennessee, 1999
- Tax Concentration
- Graduate Assistant – full tuition and stipend granted
- B.S., magna cum laude, University of Tennessee, 1997
- Awarded “Most Outstanding UT Accounting Graduate”
- National Dean's List
- UT College of Business Dean's List
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Middle Districts of Tennessee
- Certified Public Accountant (license currently inactive) – Practiced as CPA with Ernst & Young for more than four years (financial audit)
- Tennessee Bar Association, Legal Leadership Class (TBALL) - Graduate, Class of 2015
- American Inns of Court, Justices Ray L. Brock Jr. and Robert E. Cooper Chapter - Executive Council, Pupilage Leader
- Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- The Children's Advocacy Center of Hamilton County – Board of Directors
- Erlanger Health System Foundations - Board of Directors and Executive Council
- Hospice of Chattanooga - Speaker for fundraising events
- Leadership Chattanooga - Graduate, Class of 2010
- Red Bank Baptist Church - Member
Ellis served as Assistant Drum Major of the Pride of the Southland Marching Band at the University of Tennessee.