Hugh Sharber practices business law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and securities transactions. He has advised purchasers and sellers in business transactions in the healthcare, consumer products, restaurant and financial services industries, among others. He has also advised numerous clients on securities offerings, including initial public offerings of common stock, secondary public offerings of common stock, senior subordinated note and convertible senior note offerings under Rule 144A followed by registered exchange offerings and has handled numerous private placements of securities.
Acquisitions and Sales of Businesses
- Purchase of the western division of a national windows and door manufacturer for a private equity investor at a transaction value of approximately $10 million.
- Sale of six skilled nursing homes located in three different states for $30 million.
- Purchases of a frozen meat-free product line from a national food company and assets of production facility for a development stage meat-free food company.
- Sale of a regional urgent care business with nine locations to an industry purchaser for a transaction value of approximately $10 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of seamless metal bellows in an add-on acquisition and in the later sale of the entire business to a private equity-supported industry purchaser for a transaction value of approximately $25 million.
- Represent a newly-formed consumer products company in the acquisition of license rights to a macadamia nut skin care lotion from an international company.
- Represent a private equity investor in the acquisition of a flat rolled metals toll processor and transportation and logistics supply chain business for the automobile industry, together with related credit agreements and a sale/leaseback of real property in a transaction of approximately $35 million.
- Represent a consumer products company in the various transactions involving the purchase or sale of branded consumer product lines.
- Represent a diagnostic imaging business in the sale of its facilities located in Ohio.
- Represent a client in the sale of two funeral home operations to a national, publicly-traded company.
- Represent a start-up company offering guest/customer management system services to restaurants in the sale to a leading national company in the industry with a transaction value of approximately $13 million.
- Represent a behavioral health business in separate transactions involving the sale of facilities in Riverside, California and Sacramento, California.
- Sale of an incentive and gift solutions company to private equity purchasers at a transaction value of approximately $110 million.
- Represent a real estate development firm in two separate private placements of limited partnership units to provide capital to support multi-location project developments for a national neighborhood grocery store concept.
- Represent a consumer products company in a private placement of limited partnership units with proceeds to be used for the acquisition of a portfolio of branded consumer products.
- Represent a seller of energy efficient and renewable products and services in its organization and initial capital raise.
- Represent investors in separate transactions involving the investment in limited partnerships formed to provide mezzanine debt and development capital for real estate projects.
- Offering of $18.5 million for a SBIC specializing in mezzanine loans in the healthcare industry and an offering of $30 million for a SBIC specializing in senior mortgage loans and revolving lines of credit in the healthcare industry.
- J.D., with Honors, The University of Tennessee College of Law, 1984
- Assistant Editor, Tennessee Law Review
- B.A., magna cum laude, The University of the South, 1980
- Phi Beta Kappa
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Corporate Law since 2005
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Corporate Law, 2012
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business since 2011
- Chattanooga Bar Foundation – Fellow
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Chattanooga Community Development Financial Institution, Board of Directors - Member
- Chattanooga Opportunity Fund, Advisory Board - Member
- Chattanooga Rotary Club - Member
- City of Chattanooga Access to Capital Task Force - Member
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church – Chancellor; Former Senior Warden
- The University of the South, Board of Trustees - Former Member
- Miller & Martin Represents Prime Window Systems, LLC in the Purchase of Atrium Corporation's Western Division of Window and Door Facilities
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- Miller & Martin Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- Miller & Martin Maintains Top Rankings in Chambers USA, 2015 Edition
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- Hugh Sharber Inducted as Fellow of the Chattanooga Bar Foundation
- Miller & Martin Maintains Top Rankings in Chambers USA, 2014 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Quickcue, LLC in Sale to OpenTable, Inc.
- Miller & Martin Represents Heritage Funeral Homes, L.P. in Sale to Carriage Funeral Holdings, Inc.
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Miller & Martin PLLC Maintains Top Ranking in Chambers USA, 2013 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Chattem, Inc. in the Sale of Bull Frog®
- Miller & Martin Represents Chattem, Inc. in Acquisition of Rolaids®
- 49 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 Edition
- Miller & Martin PLLC Maintains Top Ranking in Chambers USA, 2012 Edition
Serves on the advisory committee for the Tonya Public Affairs Internship Fund and the Judge Wilson Memorial Fund at The University of the South, funded by the Tonya Memorial Foundation which was established by the late Burkett Miller. Together the Funds have awarded grants to more than 1,600 students at Sewanee to fund public affairs and business internships since inception in 1981.