Laura Ashby's practice concentrates on business, intellectual property and tort litigation. She focuses on providing cost-effective solutions to a wide range of matters, from breach-of-contract cases to complex consumer class actions. She has substantial intellectual property experience and in addition to counseling her clients, she has litigated copyright, trademark, trade secret and patent cases. She also has experience in the banking industry, obtaining favorable and cost-effective settlements of complex banking claims.
- Ms. Ashby's litigation experience includes representing both local and large national and international clients in a variety of cases, including business disputes, product liability claims and intellectual property disputes. She has achieved significant victories for clients, including obtaining the dismissal of a California consumer class action. She also worked on the Miller & Martin litigation team that obtained favorable and cost effective multi-million dollar pre-litigation settlements of complex banking claims.
- Ms. Ashby also has substantial experience in intellectual property litigation before state and federal courts involving claims of copyright infringement, patent infringement, trademark and trade dress infringement, trademark dilution, unfair competition and false advertising. In addition, she has counseled clients on trademark matters, including advising on the search and clearance of marks. She began her practice by successfully defending a state university in a copyright case of national significance involving complex issues of fair use.
- J.D., Order of the Coif, Vanderbilt University, 2008
- B.A., summa cum laude, Yale University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- American Bar Association
- AtlAS, Mediation Committee
- State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property Committee - Young Lawyers Division Chair, 2011-2012
- State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property Law Section - Young Lawyers Division Committee Chair, 2012
Laura Ashby is a two-time Jeopardy! Champion.