Mark Degler concentrates his practice in the area of corporate law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, business transactions, international law and taxation. He serves as corporate counsel to several of Miller & Martin's clients and has advised numerous clients on many acquisitions, mergers, reorganizations and sales of businesses, as well as various debt and equity securities offerings involving publicly and privately held companies. Mark serves as Chair of the firm's Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity Group as well as partner-in-charge of the firm’s practice development department.
Prior to joining Miller & Martin, Mark practiced for several years with King & Spalding LLP in its Washington, D.C. office. Mr. Degler worked on numerous domestic and cross-border transactions with both publicly and privately held clients. He also served in Moscow as the United States Treasury Department's Senior Tax Policy Advisor to the Russian Federation (1995-1996), and provided advice to several other foreign governments in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union on tax, budget, banking and public and private securities policy in connection with their transition to market economies. Mark's services have also been retained by other providers of policy advice and technical assistance to foreign governments, such as the International Monetary Fund and Harvard University's Institute for International Development.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1988
- Virginia Tax Review Editorial Board, 1986 to 1987 and Executive Editor, 1987 to 1988
- B.S., magna cum laude, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 1985
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Corporate Law since 2013
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga College of Business - Dean's Advisory Board Member
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®, 2017
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Taxation
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Chattanooga Tax Practitioners - Former President, 1997-1998
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Chambliss Center for Children - Board of Directors
- Nineteen Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2017 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents PlayCore in Acquisition of Sport Surface Specialties
- Miller & Martin Represents PlayCore in Acquisition of Alta Enterprises
- Miller & Martin Represents PlayCore in Acquisition of Playcraft Systems
- Miller & Martin Represents PlayCore in Acquisition of Worlds of Wow
- Miller & Martin Represents PlayCore in Acquisition of APC Brands
- Miller & Martin Represents Playcore in Acquisition of Architectural Structure Producing Porter Corporation
- Miller & Martin Represents PlayCore in Aquatic Division Expansion with Knorr Systems Acquisition
- Miller & Martin Represents Playcore in the Acquisition of Freenotes Harmony Park
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents PlayCore In Recent Acquisition of Belson Outdoors
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Represent Nelbud Services in Acquisition of 360 Services
- Miller & Martin, Bank of North Georgia Host Atlanta Author
- Miller & Martin Represents Playcore in Acquisition of Power Systems
- PlayCore Represented by Miller & Martin in Acquisition of Fountain People, Inc.
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Represent PlayCore in Sale to Sentinel Capital Investment
- Miller & Martin Team Completes Transaction of Chartwell Investments in the Acquisition of Easton Hockey
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Larsen MacColl Partners, L.P. in the Sale of S&S Worldwide, Inc.
- Miller & Martin Serves as Counsel to PlayCore in the Purchase of DERO Bike Rack Co.
- 49 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 Edition
- Miller & Martin Advises A & S Services Group in the Acquisition of Kinard Trucking
- Miller & Martin Serves as Counsel to PlayCore in the Purchase of Colorado Time Systems
- Miller & Martin Advises Burner Systems International, Inc. in the Sale of its Stock to an Affiliate of Aterian Investment Partners
Mr. Degler really enjoys playing golf, particularly with his daughter, even though he isn’t very good at it.