Tim Silvis, Co-Chair of the firm's Commercial Finance Group, concentrates his practice on providing general business and corporate law counsel to privately held companies across a range of industries, from manufacturing to technology, and on providing counsel to lenders and acquisitive borrowers in connection with commercial finance matters. Specifically, Tim has extensive experience asking clients questions about the issues that are unique to operating and growing their business, their short and long-term business objectives and their philosophy and approach for achieving those objectives and dealing with obstacles along the way and, last but certainly not least, the client’s expectations for their legal counsel.
Tim believes that the insight gained from asking the right questions is fundamental to effectively and efficiently working with his clients at each stage of the business life cycle, whether it is creating a new business, negotiating equity investment and debt financing arrangements for a growing business, drafting and negotiating commercial sales, licensing or purchasing contracts for a stable business, or working with a mature business to evaluate opportunities to acquire other businesses or, alternatively, in the negotiation and sale of the client's business to a strategic or financial buyer.
- Counseling companies in connection with structuring, formation, governance matters and ongoing operations.
- Representing companies, investors and founders in connection with equity and debt offerings and other securities-related matters.
- Representing a national banking association in connection with commercial loan work-out, forbearance and enforcement matters.
- Amending and restating $85 million credit relationship with national automotive dealer in connection with $15 million partial facility take-out and elimination of syndicate terms.
- Representing secured lenders in UCC "friendly foreclosure" transactions resulting in continued operation of foreclosed business and discharge of indebtedness.
- Representing companies and investment funds of various sizes in connection with acquisition and disposition of businesses.
- Preparing and negotiating master development agreements, software and other technology licenses, subscription agreements for SaaS providers and support/maintenance agreements.
- Negotiating cloud services outsourcing agreements for public company engaging world-leading technology provider to host its email exchange and document management systems.
- Preparing confidentiality, nondisclosure and noncompetition agreements.
- Preparing manufacture, supply, marketing, reseller and distributor agreements.
- Representing management as stalking-horse bidder in buyout of business units through Section 363 bankruptcy auction process.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia School of Law, 2002
- Editorial Board, Georgia Law Review
- Woodruff Scholar
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Georgia, 1997
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Georgia Trend magazine - Legal Elite, 2012-2014
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Commercial Finance Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Technology Association of Georgia
- Mary Lin Elementary Education Foundation - Board of Directors
- The Park at St. Luke's, Inc. - President and Member of Board of Directors
- Miller & Martin Represents Buyers Protection Group in Sale to Fidelity National Financial
- 14 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2014 Georgia Trend Magazine's Legal Elite
- Miller & Martin Represents Mayne Pharma in Transactions with HedgePath Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Twelve Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2013 Legal Elite by Georgia Trend Magazine
- Ten Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2012 Legal Elite by Georgia Trend Magazine
Tim is desperately trying to find the time to become an amateur astronomer.