Miller & Martin Participates in Miller Park Re-Opening Celebration in Chattanooga
September 14, 2018
The Miller Park re-opening celebration is slated for 11 a.m. on Sept. 14 with a day of festivities. The $10.6-million project was a public-private endeavor between the City of Chattanooga and numerous partners, including Miller & Martin and several of the firm's clients. Miller & Martin Chairman Jim Haley will be among the business partners participating in the ribbon-cutting ceremony.
The firm has a long history of support for Miller Park. In 1954 amidst a blighted city core resulting from a fading industrial economy, our firm’s founding partner, Burkett Miller, had the vision for a public space around which urban renewal in Chattanooga could occur. Toward the end of his life in the early 1970s, Miller began to implement the idea committing $500,000 personally and working with then City Mayor Robert Kirk Walker toward the development. Miller led a group of private citizens to acquire the property and to raise private and public funding for the project. The private donors transferred the land to the city and work began in 1973. Three years later in December 1976, the first phase of the park, named Miller Park after Burkett Miller’s parents, was dedicated.
To learn more about the history of Miller Park in this story by WRCB, click here.