Miller & Martin's Labor Relations attorneys’ knowledge of the applicable law is only the starting point. Our real value comes from our insight into appropriate proactive management strategies and our understanding of various labor organizations and their methods.
Our commitment to labor relations remains a cornerstone of our labor and employment practice. The firm's experience in labor law offers clients, from multi-national corporations to regional and local businesses, a scope and depth of experience surpassed by few other full-service firms our size. Our seasoned bench of L&E attorneys handles the full range of traditional labor law issues such as:
- Union organizing campaigns
- Collective bargaining
- Grievance/arbitration (including rights and interest arbitration)
- Labor contract administration
- Union avoidance through positive employee relations
- Union corporate campaigns
- Preparing for and dealing with picketing, strikes, lockouts and other economic tactics
- FLSA and state wage-hour law matters
Collaboratively working with our clients, we counsel management on labor relations issues arising from mergers and acquisitions, shutdowns, relocations and other business reorganizations.
Clients confronted with union organizing attempts, important labor negotiations, union corporate campaigns, unfair labor practice charges, or threats of work stoppages turn to group members for sophisticated representation by seasoned professionals with experience handling such matters.
- Obtained a favorable decision in the Court of Appeals rejecting the National Labor Relations Board's certification of a union on the basis that the eligible voters were not employees but rather independent contractors.
- Successfully directed a client through a strike and unfair labor practice proceeding ultimately resulting in the withdrawal of recognition from the union.
- Represented employers in work stoppages in Tennessee, New York and New Jersey, including obtaining a court injunction requiring employees to return from an unlawful strike after one day and sustaining discharge of employees for conduct during strike.
- Represented employers in multiple charges filed with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Prevailed in union decertification election.
- Participated in collective bargaining negotiations.
- Handled hundreds of labor arbitrations all over the United States.
- Conducted union avoidance training for employers in multiple industries, including health care, manufacturing, distribution, hospitality, logistics and warehousing.
- Prevailed in a wage arbitration in Nevada.
- Successfully assisted a client in the conclusion of negotiations of two major bargaining agreements.
- Negotiated a resolution of a significant ERISA dispute with the Department of Labor.
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2023 "Lawyer of the Year" for Respective Practices in Chattanooga
- Construction Lawyer Neil Wilcove Quoted in Law360 Regarding Biden Construction Mandate
- John Bode Named 2022 Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for Labor & Employment Litigation in Chattanooga
- Miller & Martin Earns 2 National & 41 Regional Rankings in "Best Law Firms" 2019 Edition
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition Show more
- Private Employer Obligations Under President Biden's “Path Out of the Pandemic” Plan
- Could April Showers Bring May Unions?
- It’s a Festivus Miracle: NLRB Gives Employers Trifecta of Wins!
- NLRB Change-ups: The (Republican) Force Awakens
- Divide Deepens Over Enforceability of Class Arbitration Waivers Show more