Danny Griffin has 28 years of experience in civil and criminal litigation. He conducts internal investigations, and helps individuals and companies navigate difficult situations. He has represented more than 30 clients who were "targets" of federal criminal investigations where no charges were ever filed, and has convinced federal prosecutors to dismiss indictments against his clients on seven different occasions. He has also successfully initiated and defended False Claims Act (qui tam) cases brought by "whistleblowers." According to Chamber’s USA, the leading authority on legal industry rankings based on in-depth interviews with clients and peers, Danny is among Georgia’s leading White Collar Crime defense attorneys. Sources hold him in high esteem labeling him “an outstanding lawyer who brings a practical approach combined with his very intellectual abilities,” and stating “You can’t get a better lawyer than him; he’s very wise and has great judgment and instincts.”
Danny was an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia (1997-2002), and has handled cases involving alleged antitrust violations, bribery, customs violations, embezzlement, environmental offenses, Executive Order violations, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) violations, healthcare fraud, immigration offenses, income tax offenses, insider trading, kickbacks, money laundering, mortgage fraud, obstruction, perjury, public corruption, SBA fraud, securities fraud, and mail, wire, honest services and bank fraud. He has also handled cases involving asset forfeiture, the False Claims Act, government contract debarment proceedings, the recovery of stolen/embezzled funds, libel and slander, music royalties, stock options, products liability, medical malpractice and wrongful death.
- Represented Fortune 500 company which was the target in a Clean Water Act investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented indicted individual who had been identified by three government sources as the leader of the charged conspiracy. Convinced federal prosecutors prior to trial that client was innocent; all charges dismissed and client received written apology.
- Represented former Fortune 500 company investor relations employee charged with insider trading and making false statements under oath to the SEC. Indictment dismissed.
- Represented German manufacturer which was the target of an investigation involving alleged falsification of product testing. No charges filed, and government declined to intervene in parallel False Claims Act case.
- Represented international auto parts manufacturer which was a target in an antitrust price fixing investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented Middle East-based military food supplier accused of being a “war profiteer.” No charges filed.
- Represented construction company in False Claims Act investigation involving wage and hour certifications under the Davis Bacon Act. Government declined to intervene.
- Represented business owner accused of skimming proceeds and charged with income tax violations. Convinced federal prosecutors to dismiss all charges after challenging search warrant.
- Represented individual indicted for immigration offenses with one of the underlying allegations being that client was a participant in the genocide of native Nicaraguans. Established client's innocence and federal prosecutors dismissed all charges.
- Hired by lobbyist ten years after that individual had been charged with honest services fraud. Part of a team of lawyers that convinced federal prosecutors to dismiss case.
- Represented individual and his wholly-owned corporations charged in an indictment alleging multiple immigration and money laundering offenses. Convinced federal prosecutors to dismiss indictment; case resolved with a plea to a misdemeanor.
- Represented individual charged in multi-million dollar RICO and theft of government funds indictment. Matter resolved with client receiving first offender status and probation with no restitution being ordered.
- Represented doctor who was the target of a perjury investigation and convinced Health Care Fraud Task Force not to prosecute.
- Represented lobbyist who was a target in a public corruption/bribery investigation and convinced federal prosecutors that charges were not warranted.
- Represented minister who was target in federal and subsequent state investigations involving alleged misuse of government grant money. Matter closed without charges.
- Represented president of large nonprofit in two-year federal investigation involving alleged misuse of organization's funds. No charges filed.
- Represented physician and his wholly-owned company -- targets in federal investigation involving sale of adulterated product. No charges filed, and all seized funds returned by government.
- Represented physician named in False Claims Act complaint which accused client of participating in a scheme to seek reimbursement for lab tests not performed. Government declined to pursue case against client and forced the relator/whistleblower to remove client's name from the complaint.
- Represented CEO of hospital named in False Claims Act complaint which alleged unlawful payments to surgeons in violation of the Stark Law. Convinced government to decline case against client.
- Represented durable medical equipment company in parallel criminal and civil investigations relating to false claims submitted to Medicare. Convinced government not to pursue criminal charges; matter settled on civil basis.
- J.D., cum laude, The University of Georgia School of Law, 1986
- Georgia Law Review
- B.B.A., The University of Georgia, 1983
- Law Clerk for United States District Court Judge Harold L. Murphy (1986-1988).
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations since 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Criminal Defense: White-Collar since 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Qui Tam Law since 2015
- Georgia Trend magazine - Legal Elite: Criminal Defense since 2007
- Georgia Super Lawyers® - Top 100, 2016
- Georgia Super Lawyers® - White Collar Criminal Defense since 2008
- National Trial Lawyers - Top 100: Criminal Defense
- IBA Who's Who Legal - Georgia Leading Business Crime Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
- State Bar of Georgia, General Practice and Trial Section - Board Member, 2002-2016
- 7 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2019 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Nine Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2018 "Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition
- Miller & Martin Practices, Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Chambers USA®
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2018 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Nine Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2017 "Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition
- Miller & Martin Practices, Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Chambers USA®
- iHeart Prevails as Georgia High Court Rules Internet Streaming of Pre1972 Recordings Isn’t Piracy
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Provide Thought Leadership for State Bar of Georgia White Collar Crime Seminar
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2017 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2016 "Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- Miller & Martin Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- Daniel P. Griffin Inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2016 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Griffin and Parker Selected as 2016 Georgia Super Lawyers Top 100
- 6 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2015 "Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- Miller & Martin Maintains Top Rankings in Chambers USA, 2015 Edition
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Georgia Super Lawyers® 2015
- 14 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2014 Georgia Trend Magazine's Legal Elite
- Miller & Martin Introduces New Crisis Management Practice Group
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- Miller & Martin Maintains Top Rankings in Chambers USA, 2014 Edition
- Fifteen Miller & Martin Attorneys Included in 2014 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Twelve Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2013 Legal Elite by Georgia Trend Magazine
- Danny Griffin Mentioned as Part of National Celebrate Pro Bono Week
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Miller & Martin PLLC Maintains Top Ranking in Chambers USA, 2013 Edition
- 2013 Georgia Super Lawyers Includes 11 Miller & Martin Attorneys
- Danny Griffin Presents at 2018 ABA Southeastern White Collar Crime Institute
- Griffin and Rose will Present at the 2018 Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel Meeting
- Griffin and Dickson to Speak at White Collar Crime Seminar
- Griffin and Greene Particpate at White Collar Crime Seminar
- Griffin to Speak at Southeastern White Collar Crime Institute
- Griffin and Rumfelt to Speak at White Collar Crime Conference
- Griffin to Speak at White Collar Crime Seminar
- Southeastern White Collar Crime Institute, American Bar Association
- Griffin will Present White Collar Crime, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia