Lynsey Barron practices in the areas of criminal defense, civil rights, investigations, and appeals. She has been recognized by Chambers USA as a “rising star and one to watch” in White-Collar Crime and Government Investigations. She is a former Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of Georgia serving in the Economic Crimes and Public Corruption sections. She has both prosecuted and defended complex white collar crimes including bribery, tax fraud, securities fraud, and healthcare fraud. She has significant trial and appellate experience, and has presented several oral arguments to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. She also has an active investigations practice in both governmental and nongovernmental contexts. She recently led a high-profile independent investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct into a prominent Christian evangelist.
Prior to joining Miller & Martin, Lynsey was in-house counsel for Compliance, Data Privacy, and Cybersecurity at a Fortune 50 company. She managed internal investigations; ethics and compliance issues including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and trade compliance; and data privacy and cybersecurity. She spent several years practicing commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense at an AmLaw 100 firm. Before becoming an attorney, Lynsey had a career in politics. She was a Legislative Assistant for a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, and also served as the Staff Director for the Congressional Caucus for Women’s Issues. She was a federal lobbyist for the American Association of University Women, where she lobbied on education policy and civil rights issues, and then for the March of Dimes where she lobbied on health care access issues.
Lynsey is dedicated to public service, and she has an active indigent defense and civil rights litigation practice. She serves on the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia’s Criminal Justice Act panel and is a board member of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office Conviction Integrity Unit, where she meets monthly with a team to reconsider questionable convictions and disproportionate sentences. She is also on the Board of Directors for the Federal Defender Program for the Northern District of Georgia.
Lynsey is also an adjunct professor at Emory University School of Law where she teaches courses on trial advocacy and Federal Prosecution Practice. She clerked for Judge Beverly B. Martin on the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- J.D. with Honors, Emory University, 2009
- Emory Law Journal, Managing Editor
- Robert W. Woodruff Fellow
- M.A., Political Science, University of Oklahoma, 2003
- Carl Albert Doctoral Fellow
- B.A. with Honors, Political Science and Religion, Berry College, 1999
- J.D. with Honors, Emory University, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Fulton County Superior Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Law Clerk for U.S. Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit Judge Beverly B. Martin (2010)
- Pursuing the Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) certification
- CIPP certification helps organizations around the world bolster privacy and data protection compliance and risk mitigation practices.
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Georgia: Up and Coming), since 2021
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, since 2022
- Georgia Trend magazine - Legal Elite since 2021
- Fulton County District Attorney's Office Conviction Integrity Review Board, Member
- Federal Defender Program Board of Directors, Northern District of Georgia
- Clarence Cooper Inn of Court, Vice-President
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- American Bar Association, Criminal Law Section
- Georgia Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Association for Women Lawyers (GAWL)
- American Constitution Society, Georgia Chapter
- League of Women Voters, Atlanta/Fulton County Chapter
- Society for American Baseball Research, Magnolia Chapter
- Attorney Lynsey Barron interviewed on Dan Abrams Live
- Miller & Martin Practices and Attorneys Earn Top Rankings in 2022 Chambers USA Guide
- 4 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2021 "Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- Miller & Martin Represented GSM Holdings, Inc. in its Acquisition of Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits, Inc.
- 8 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch Show more
Lynsey used to be a boxer and competed at the amateur level. She is an avid baseball fan and a member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR). When she’s not practicing law, she enjoys watching her son play baseball and hiking in western North Carolina with her Labrador retriever.