Shelby Grubbs practices in the area of civil litigation and dispute resolution including international commercial arbitration. His experience includes various business and commercial matters as well as construction, intellectual property, securities, product liability and insurance-related disputes. He has significant experience both as an advocate and as a dispute resolution neutral, including work as a court-appointed master. He is active as a writer, speaker and commentator and in civic affairs. From 2014 to 2017, he was at Georgia State University where he helped design and establish the Atlanta Center for International Arbitration and Mediation and served as its first Executive Director. He teaches international commercial arbitration at Emory University Law School.
Experience as an Advocate
- Coordinating counsel for consumer products company in series of employment class cases.
- Lead counsel for life insurer carrier in series of viatical cases seeking rescission.
- Lead counsel for regional bank in lender liability class case.
- Lead counsel for wireless telephone operator defending Fifth Amendment claim.
- Appeals counsel in Tennessee Court of Appeals for 12 workers compensation insurers in litigation under the Tennessee Anti-Trust statute.
- Lead counsel in district court and court of appeals in ERISA cases of first impression.
- Lead counsel in employment class litigation against Big Four accounting firm.
- Lead U.S. counsel in trademark litigation between United States and United Kingdom retailers.
Experience in Dispute Resolution
- Chair of Tennessee Supreme Court Commission on Dispute Resolution.
- Chair of Tennessee Supreme Court Commission on ADR.
- Chair of Advisory Group for the Reduction of Cost and Delay in Civil Litigation U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee.
- Special Master in Medicare claim seeking reimbursement from health and disability insurer.
- Special Master in environmental class litigation against paper manufacturer.
- Special Master in securities litigation brought against industrial gas company.
- Special Master in environmental litigation against computer hardware manufacturer.
- Arbitrator in cases involving construction of metropolitan subway system.
- Arbitrator in cases involving gas utility.
- Arbitrator in corporate governance case.
- Arbitrator in securities cases.
- Arbitrator in cases involving international sales territories.
- Arbitrator in non-compete cases.
- Arbitrator in wage and hour cases.
- Arbitrator in international dispute regarding machine parts.
- Arbitrator in international maritime cases.
- J.D., University of Alabama Law School, 1975
- Member, Alabama Law Review
- Bench and Bar Honor Society
- B.A., University of Mississippi, 1971
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth, Seventh and Eleventh Circuits
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) - Panelist
- The International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) - Panelist
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) - Panelist
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) - Panelist
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) - Panelist
- Georgia Super Lawyers® - Alternative Dispute Resolution since 2013
- Grayfred Gray Public Service - Mediation Award
- BTI - Client Service All-Stars, 2011 & 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Commercial Litigation since 2001
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- Chattanooga Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Bar Association, Business Law Today - Editorial Board
- Global Network Foundation - Chair, 2012-2013
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society - Board Member
- Georgia State College of Law - Board of Visitors
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Atlanta Center for International Arbitration and Mediation - Executive Director, 2014-2017
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society - Board of Directors, 2011-2015, 2018
- Atlanta Sister Cities Commission - Chair, 2016-2019
- Emory University School of Law - Adjunct Faculty, 2019-Present
- Georgia State University College of Law, International Commercial Arbitration - Adjunct Professor of Law, 2017-Present
- Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University - Dean's Advisory Council
- Society of International Business Fellows - Board of Directors
- The University of Alabama Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration - Former International Business Advisory Board
- Vanderbilt University School of Law - Adjunct Faculty, 2019
- 8 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2020 Georgia Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Edition
- 7 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2019 Georgia Super Lawyers
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2018 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Shelby Grubbs Returning to Miller & Martin to Lead Atlanta Office
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2017 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Georgia Super Lawyers® 2015
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named BTI Client Service All-Stars 2015
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- Corporate Counsel Rank Miller & Martin To The Honor Roll For Law Firms With The Best Client Relationships
- Fifteen Miller & Martin Attorneys Included in 2014 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Miller & Martin Represents Heritage Funeral Homes, L.P. in Sale to Carriage Funeral Holdings, Inc.
- Miller & Martin Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team 2014
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Shelby Grubbs Appointed to Board of Visitors of the Georgia State University College of Law
- 2013 Georgia Super Lawyers Includes 11 Miller & Martin Attorneys