T. Clayton Walts
Office: 404.962.6409 | Fax: 404.962.6309
Clay Walts concentrates his practice in employee benefits and executive compensation, which includes drafting and preparing qualified retirement plans, welfare benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements for both public and closely held companies; addressing employee benefit issues in corporate transactions; advising clients on issues relating to the investment of plan assets and exemptions from the plan asset and prohibited transaction rules; and counseling clients on issues relating to plan design, ERISA and federal tax compliance, securities regulation and disclosure, plan administration and various other matters.
Prior to joining Miller & Martin, Mr. Walts was a Partner at Troutman Sanders LLP in Atlanta, Georgia, where he practiced for 12 years and, prior to attending law school, was an ERISA Legal Assistant with King & Spalding in Atlanta, Georgia.
- J.D., Georgia State University, 1995
- B.A., Michigan State University, 1987
- Institute for Employee Benefits Training, 1988
- Harvard University, Summer 1985
- Certificate in Employee Benefit Plans from the Institute for Employee Benefits Training, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, since 2013
- State Bar of Georgia - Of Counsel Award
- State Bar of Georgia, Employee Benefits Law Section
- Miller & Martin Advised L2 Brands in its Acquisition of Ouray Sportswear
- 52 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2023 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Miller & Martin Represents Oakbridge Partners in its Sale to Homrich Berg
- Miller & Martin Represented SaaS Group in its Acquisition of Pipeline
- Miller & Martin Represented Independent Benefits Advisors in its Partnership with Acentria Insurance Show more
In his spare time Clay is active in running, boating and playing guitar.