Over the many years that Charles has practiced in the intellectual property and franchising/product distribution fields, his greatest sense of accomplishment is when a longtime client calls to follow-up on a matter they started together many years ago and are still collaborating on today. It's the relationship. All of the work that Charles does has a long “tail,” whether its prosecuting or enforcing a patent or trademark, starting and running a franchise system or assisting a client in acquiring a company that owns a portfolio of IP assets. Patent prosecution takes a year or two, and then the patent can be maintained for 20 years. A franchise agreement typically lasts ten, 15 or even 20 years. Trademarks can last forever. While he and his clients might be in daily contact for intense bursts of time, similar to preparing for a litigation matter, or searching and clearing a trademark, oftentimes they go a few years without needing to talk. But when a client calls or emails, they obviously have something important going on, and having established a relationship over time, they know that Charles will treat their matter accordingly, regardless of whether it’s a simple “Do you think this is a problem?” question, or an “Oh my gosh they’re ripping me off and going to kill my business!” situation.
Charles Forlidas concentrates his practice in the areas of trademarks, patents, copyrights and intellectual property litigation. He also works with clients in the areas of franchising, distribution and franchise/distribution litigation. He has been involved in organizing start-up franchises and advising franchisors and franchisees with regard to their ongoing relationship and compliance matters.
Mr. Forlidas has assisted in the prosecution, administration and licensing of patents, trademarks and copyrights and related intellectual property litigation for both well-known and lesser-known brands. He has handled patent and trademark enforcement and defense matters in federal courts throughout the United States, the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office and at the International Trade Commission. Mr. Forlidas also works with corporate lawyers with respect to intellectual property issues arising out of the acquisition and sale of businesses.
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Tennessee College of Law, 1993
- B.A., Princeton University, 1989
- US Patent Bar
- Federal District Courts in Georgia & Tennessee
- Georgia Trend magazine - Legal Elite: Intellectual Property since 2017
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property & Franchising Sections
- State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property & Franchising Sections
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Woodruff Plantation Homeowner's Association - President
- Miller & Martin Represents USATestprep in Sale to Serent Capital
- Miller & Martin Represents Zenith LaborNet in Merger with Nth Degree
- Nine Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2017 "Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine
- Miller & Martin Represents US Floor, Inc. in Sale to Shaw Industries Group
- Miller & Martin Represents Mayne Pharma in Acquisition & U.S. Private Offering
- Miller & Martin Represents Mayne Pharma in Transactions with HedgePath Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Mayne Pharma Group in Acquisition of Libertas Pharma Inc.
Charles was an All-American High Jumper in college – about 90 lbs. ago!