Shelby Grubbs practices in the area of civil litigation and dispute resolution. His experience includes various business and commercial matters as well as construction, intellectual property, securities, product liability and insurance-related disputes. He has significant experience both as an advocate and as a dispute resolution neutral, including work as a court appointed master. He is active as a writer, speaker and commentator and in civic affairs. In addition to being Of Counsel to the firm, he is Executive Director of the Atlanta Center for International Arbitration and Mediation.
Experience as an Advocate
- Coordinating counsel for consumer products company in series of employment class cases.
- Lead counsel for life insurer carrier in series of viatical cases seeking rescission.
- Lead counsel for regional bank in lender liability class case.
- Lead counsel for wireless telephone operator defending Fifth Amendment claim.
- Appeals counsel in Tennessee Court of Appeals for 12 workers compensation insurers in litigation under the Tennessee Anti-Trust statute.
- Lead counsel in district court and court of appeals in ERISA cases of first impression.
- Lead counsel in employment class litigation against Big Four accounting firm.
- Lead U.S. counsel in trademark litigation between United States and United Kingdom retailers.
Experience in Dispute Resolution
- Special Master in Medicare claim seeking reimbursement from health and disability insurer.
- Special Master in environmental class litigation against paper manufacturer.
- Special Master in securities litigation brought against industrial gas company.
- Special Master in environmental litigation against computer hardware manufacturer.
- Arbitrator in cases involving construction of metropolitan subway system.
- Arbitrator in cases involving gas utility.
- Arbitrator in securities cases.
- J.D., University of Alabama Law School, 1975
- Member, Alabama Law Review
- Bench and Bar Honor Society
- B.A., University of Mississippi, 1971
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth, Seventh and Eleventh Circuits
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- Georgia Super Lawyers® since 2013
- Grayfred Gray Public Service - Mediation Award
- BTI - Client Service All-Stars, 2011 & 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Commercial Litigation since 2001
- American Inns of Court, Ray Brock Chapter - Master
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- Chattanooga Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Arbitration Association - Approved Panelist
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society - Board Member
- Georgia State College of Law - Board of Visitors
- State Bar of Georgia
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution - Approved Panelist
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) - Approved Panelist
- Atlanta Center for International Arbitration and Mediation
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society
- Atlanta Sister Cities Commission
- Georgia State University College of Law
- Global Network Foundation
- Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University - Dean's Advisory Council
- Society of International Business Fellows - Board of Directors
- The University of Alabama Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration - International Business Advisory Board
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2017 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Georgia Super Lawyers® 2015
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named BTI Client Service All-Stars 2015
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- Corporate Counsel Rank Miller & Martin To The Honor Roll For Law Firms With The Best Client Relationships
- Fifteen Miller & Martin Attorneys Included in 2014 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Miller & Martin Represents Heritage Funeral Homes, L.P. in Sale to Carriage Funeral Holdings, Inc.
- Miller & Martin Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team 2014
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Shelby Grubbs Appointed to Board of Visitors of the Georgia State University College of Law
- 2013 Georgia Super Lawyers Includes 11 Miller & Martin Attorneys
- Shelby Grubbs Appointed to International Business Advisory Board
- 49 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 Edition
- Shelby Grubbs becomes Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators