Now retired from Miller & Martin, former State Bar President Bryan Cavan concentrated his practice in business litigation with an emphasis in construction and surety law and employment law. Mr. Cavan represented clients in numerous areas including UCC, breach of contract, construction claims, insurance coverage, employment issues, covenants and trade secrets. He wrote and lectured extensively on a variety of topics and served as an instructor for the Trial Techniques Program at Emory University School of Law.
Mr. Cavan served the construction industry for two decades and understood the industry's legal needs. His clients included local and regional general contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in matters ranging from contract negotiation and drafting to dispute avoidance and resolution. An accomplished commercial litigator, Mr. Cavan was experienced in alternative forms of dispute resolution, including arbitration, mediation and negotiation. He served on the National Panel of Neutrals for the American Arbitration Association. He also successfully argued numerous appellate cases, including several decisions involving matters of first impression before the Georgia Courts.
Mr. Cavan was named a Georgia Super Lawyer for 2004-2006 and 2009-2013. He was 2009-2010 President for the State Bar of Georgia and also served on its Board of Governors and Executive Committee. He chaired several statewide committees for the Bar, including the State Disciplinary Board Investigative Panel. Mr. Cavan served on numerous professional and civic committees, and was a cofounder and Former President of the DeKalb Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, an organization created to assist low income persons in need of legal help.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1967
- B.A., Belmont Abbey College, 1964
- A.A., St. Thomas Seminary, 1962
- Georgia Super Lawyers®, 2004-2006 and 2009-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Litigation-Construction and Construction Law since 2009
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2008-2009
- American Arbitration Association, National Panel of Neutrals - Certified Mediator
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society
- DeKalb Bar Association - President, 1982-1983
- DeKalb Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- The Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- State Bar of Georgia - President, 2009; President-Elect, 2008-2009; Secretary, 2007-2008; Treasurer, 2005-2007; Executive Committee, 1999-2009; Board of Governors, 1995-2009