Charles (Chuck) Lee, Vice-Chair of the firm's Litigation Practice and Co-Chair of the firm's Labor & Employment Practice, has been with Miller & Martin since 1985 and concentrates his practice primarily on employment law, corporate/commercial litigation and federal agency investigations.
In the employment law practice area, Chuck is lead defense counsel for a number of major companies and other employers in connection with wrongful discharge, discrimination, retaliation, FLSA, ADA, FMLA and whistleblower claims. He has coordinated responses to charges of employment discrimination filed with EEOC and analogous state and local agencies, including on-site investigations by agency investigators. He advises employers with respect to minimizing exposure in connection with reductions-in-force (RIFs), workforce restructurings and day-to-day employment issues. He assists employers in designing, implementing and enforcing alternative dispute resolution (ADR) programs, including mandatory pre-dispute arbitration agreements. He also advises clients on conducting corporate and workplace investigations, including federal and state agency investigations.
In connection with commercial litigation, he served as lead counsel for the FDIC as receiver of a number of failed financial institutions in connection with multi-million dollar commercial disputes as well as professional liability investigations, lawsuits and related insurance coverage issues. He has handled insurance coverage disputes pertaining to D&O insurance and fidelity bond claims.
Chuck also is a Rule 31 certified civil mediator and has served as an advocate in over 100 successful mediations. He has been AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® and is admitted to practice in Tennessee and Georgia state and federal courts. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Labor and Employment Law since 2010 and was selected in the 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers® as Labor & Employment Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" for the Chattanooga, Tennessee market.
- 34 years of helping clients avoid court but winning if a court battle is necessary.
- J.D., University of Georgia School of Law, 1985
- A.B., University of Georgia, 1982
- Phi Beta Kappa
- State Court of Tennessee and its federal district courts
- State Court of Georgia and its federal district courts
- Rule 31 Certified Civil Mediator
- Martindale-Hubbell® - AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Employment Law-Management; Labor Law-Management; and Litigation-Labor and Employment Law since 2010
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" 2020 for Chattanooga, Tennessee market - Labor & Employment Litigation
- American Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy - Advanced Advocate
- Atlanta Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Metropolitan Ministries - Pro Bono Legal Work
- St. Peter's Episcopal School - Board of Trustees
- 7 Chattanooga Miller & Martin Attorneys Awarded Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" 2021 Edition
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Edition
- 6 Chattanooga Miller & Martin Attorneys Awarded Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" 2020 Edition
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Department of Labor Appeals Injunction Blocking New Overtime Rules
- Judge Blocks Overtime Rule That Was Set To Go Into Effect December 1st
- 30-Day Countdown to the New DOL Overtime Rule – Are YOU Ready?
- Divide Deepens Over Enforceability of Class Arbitration Waivers
- It's Time to Schedule a Wage and Hour Check-Up to Avoid Costly FLSA Lawsuits
As an Atlanta native, Chuck roots for many Georgia home teams. He spends most Saturdays during football season watching his Georgia Bulldogs play between the hedges, and also enjoys attending Atlanta United soccer matches.