Randy Wilson, a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, concentrates his practice on general litigation including risk management, construction, healthcare and personal injury defense. He has provided significant risk management assistance for an international soft drink bottling company on files with potential catastrophic losses. He regularly consults with local and regional general contractors on contract negotiations and drafting, risk management and construction disputes involving both small and multimillion dollar claims. Examples of construction litigation include: defending claims totaling $20 million in connection with the $250 million construction of an ethanol conversion facility, successfully arbitrating construction delay and disruption claims on behalf of a general contractor in excess of $17 million and defending one of the nation's largest chemical manufacturers in claims arising out of breach of contract and construction and function of a CO2 conversion facility.
Randy is the Former Chair of the firm's Litigation Department.
- Successfully obtained an arbitration award in excess of $17 million on behalf of a general contractor against an owner for delay and disruption damages.
- Successfully represented a general contractor in a claim brought by a roofing subcontractor on a large commercial project. Despite acknowledging at trial that the subcontractor was likely entitled to additional compensation, a judgment in favor of the general contractor was obtained.
- Represented one of the world's largest chemical manufacturers in a $20 million breach of contract/products liability case over the supply of contaminated CO2. After litigating the case for 9 years, obtaining two summary judgments from the trial court on behalf of the client and two appeals to the Tennessee Court of Appeals which reversed the trial court in part, the case ultimately was settled for a fraction of the amount claimed by plaintiff.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of a complicated and prolonged Peer Review/HCQIA lawsuit against the medical staff officers of a hospital by a Physician whose privileges had been terminated.
- Successfully obtained a large award on behalf of a medical group against a former member/partner for breach of the partnership agreement and violation of the non-compete provision.
- Represented a hospital in a medical malpractice claim for significant injuries (Cauda Equina Syndrome). Despite the client being the only defendant at trial, the client was found only 7% at fault on a $2.7 million verdict, resulting in a $189,000 verdict against the client.
- Successfully represented a chemical manufacturer in a nuisance claim for particulate emissions damaging the client's vehicles and buildings from the neighboring foundry.
- Represented a client in a multi-party dispute over the ownership and control of various family corporations and stock ownership.
- Cases Resulting in Reported Opinions: 215 S.W.3d 843 (Tenn.Ct.App. 2006); 194 S.W.3d 466 (Tenn.Ct.App. 2005); 131 S.W.3d 457 (Tenn.Ct.App. 2003); 54 S.W.3d 238 (Tenn. 2001); 627 F.Supp.2d 855 (E.D. Tenn. 2007).
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, 1981
- B.A. with Honors, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Litigation - Construction, 2018
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- U.S. American Inns of Court, Sixth Judicial Circuit - Life Member
- BTI - Client Service All-Stars, 2015, 2019
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Construction Litigation, since 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Bet the Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Litigation-Construction; Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants and Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants since 2003
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2017
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants and Litigation-Construction, 2012-2013, 2015-2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® - AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Chattanooga Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Justices Ray L. Brock Jr. and Robert E. Cooper Chapter - Master
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association
- Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel (TACC)
- 17 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2021 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- 52 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers® List
- Randy Wilson Named 2022 Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for Construction Litigation in Chattanooga
- 15 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2020 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- 7 Chattanooga Miller & Martin Attorneys Awarded Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" 2021 Edition Show more