Rebecca Thornhill assists healthcare clients in complying with state Certificate of Need (CON) requirements. In particular, Rebecca helps clients obtain CONs by assisting with CON applications, defending against opposition and providing representation throughout the CON review process and any subsequent appeals. Rebecca also assists clients in opposing efforts of competing healthcare facilities to obtain CONs that would negatively impact her clients' operations.
Rebecca is able to leverage her skills as a litigator in her CON practice. She has represented healthcare clients at multiple administrative trials and other proceedings during which she has given opening statements, offered legal arguments and conducted direct and cross examinations. She also has written countless briefs and submissions to the Georgia Department of Community Health, the CON Appeal Panel and Georgia courts.
Rebecca's experience in complex litigation matters has been invaluable to her CON practice. In addition to her CON work, Rebecca has represented clients in a wide variety of subject areas, including securities class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits, contract disputes, business torts, product liability defense and healthcare litigation.
- Assisted clients with the CON application process with the Department of Community Health, defended against opposition from competing healthcare providers, and provided representation through the CON review process and any subsequent appeals.
- Provided analysis and advice to healthcare clients concerning compliance with CON statutes and regulations.
- Trial experience, including opening statements, direct and cross examinations.
- Preparation of legal memoranda in support of dispositive motions and appeals.
- Provided direction and advice to in-house counsel on a wide range of litigation, corporate transactional and regulatory matters.
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Georgia School of Law, 2008
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- B.A., cum laude, Political Science, Furman University, 2005
- Practice pending admission in Tennessee under Tenn. Supr. Ct. Rule 7, 5.01(g)
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Georgia
- Georgia state and appellate courts
Clerkship for the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia-Augusta Division, with the Honorable J. Randal Hall
- State Bar of Georgia
Rebecca is an avid UGA football fan, and you can usually find her in Athens for home games!