Donald E. Morton concentrates his areas of practice in estate planning, business succession, estate and trust administration and employee benefits.
Mr. Morton advises family business owners regarding the transfer of family assets and family business to second and third generations and equalizing distribution to children not actively involved in business. Mr. Morton uses a variety of trusts to preserve family assets and to minimize taxation of asset transfers to beneficiaries. He makes creative use of charitable lead and remainder trusts to provide significant tax benefits to donor and substantial benefits to charity.
- Mr. Morton has served on the board of a number of charitable trusts.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, 1976
- B.A., with High Honors, University of Virginia, 1973
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law; Trusts and Estates since 1995
- Chattanooga Estate Planning Counsel
- Chattanooga Tax Practitioners
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Lookout Mountain Presbyterian Church - Elder
- University of Virginia, East Tennessee Jefferson Scholars Committee – Chairman
- University of Virginia, Jefferson Scholars – National Selection Committee, 2016
- Lookout Mountain Presbyterian Church – World Missions Chairman
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- 49 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 Edition
Mr. Morton is an inveterate traveler, anglophile and interested in early American history.