Hugh Sharber practices business law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, securities transactions and other general business and commercial matters. He has advised both strategic and private equity purchasers and sellers in business transactions in the healthcare, consumer products, restaurant and financial services industries, among others. He has also advised numerous clients on securities offerings, including public offerings and private placements of securities. Mr. Sharber counsels business owners, boards and senior management on legal aspects of transactions, management and key personnel transitions, as well as strategic and financing alternatives, among other things.
Acquisitions and Sales of Businesses
- Private equity minority investment in a company that markets and sells a branded portfolio of consumer products containing hemp-derived CBD oil.
- Purchase of a brewing and distilling industry cleaning and sanitation service provider for a strategic purchaser.
- Sale of a flat-rolled metals toll processor and transportation and logistics supply chain business for the automobile industry to a publicly-held strategic purchaser in a $45 million transaction.
- Purchase of the western division of a national windows and door manufacturer for a private equity investor at a transaction value of approximately $10 million.
- In separate transactions, the sale of six skilled nursing homes located in three different states; the sale of three skilled nursing homes located in North Carolina; the sale leaseback of two skilled nursing homes in Tennessee; and the sale of a skilled nursing home facility in Maryland.
- Purchases of a frozen meat-free product line from a national food company and assets of production facility for a development stage meat-free food company.
- Sale of a regional urgent care business with nine locations to an industry purchaser for a transaction value of approximately $10 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of seamless metal bellows in an add-on acquisition and in the later sale of the entire business to a private equity-supported industry purchaser for a transaction value of approximately $25 million.
- Represent a newly-formed consumer products company in the acquisition of license rights to a macadamia nut skin care lotion from an international company and the acquisition of a portfolio of branded consumer products.
- Represent a private equity investor in the acquisition of a flat rolled metals toll processor and transportation and logistics supply chain business for the automobile industry, together with related credit agreements and a sale/leaseback of real property in a transaction of approximately $35 million.
- Represent a consumer products company in the various transactions involving the purchase or sale of branded consumer product lines.
- Represent a client in the sale of two funeral home operations to a national, publicly-traded company.
- Represent a start-up company offering guest/customer management system services to restaurants in the sale to a leading national company in the industry with a transaction value of approximately $13 million.
- Represent a behavioral health business in separate transactions involving the sale of facilities in Riverside, California and Sacramento, California.
- Sale of an incentive and gift solutions company to private equity purchasers at a transaction value of approximately $110 million.
- Represent a real estate development firm in two separate private placements of limited partnership units to provide capital to support multi-location project developments for a national neighborhood grocery store concept.
- Represent a consumer products company in a private placement of limited partnership units with proceeds to be used for the acquisition of a portfolio of branded consumer products.
- Represent a seller of energy efficient and renewable products and services in its organization and initial capital raise.
- Represent investors in separate transactions involving the investment in limited partnerships formed to provide mezzanine debt and development capital for real estate projects.
- Offering of $18.5 million for a SBIC specializing in mezzanine loans in the healthcare industry and an offering of $30 million for a SBIC specializing in senior mortgage loans and revolving lines of credit in the healthcare industry.
- J.D., with Honors, The University of Tennessee College of Law, 1984
- Assistant Editor, Tennessee Law Review
- B.A., magna cum laude, The University of the South, 1980
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Corporate Law, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Corporate Law since 2005
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Corporate Law, 2012
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business since 2011; Leader in Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions field (2017 edition)
- Chattanooga Bar Foundation – Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Chattanooga Community Development Financial Institution, Board of Directors - Member
- Chattanooga Opportunity Fund, Advisory Board - Member
- Chattanooga Rotary Club - Member
- City of Chattanooga Access to Capital Task Force - Member
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church – Chancellor; Former Senior Warden
- The University of the South, Tonya Public Affairs Internship Advisory Board - Member; Board of Trustees - Former Member
- Corporate Attorney Hugh Sharber Profiled in Hamilton County Herald
- Miller & Martin Practices and Attorneys Earn Top Rankings in 2020 Chambers USA®
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Home Health Care of East Tennessee in its Combination with Adoration Health
- Miller & Martin Practices, Attorneys Recognized in 2019 Chambers USA®
- Miller & Martin Represents All Metals Holding, LLC in Sale to Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co.
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition
- Miller & Martin Practices, Attorneys Recognized in 2018 Chambers USA®
- 9 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for 2018
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition
- Miller & Martin Practices, Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Chambers USA®
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Prime Window Systems, LLC in the Purchase of Atrium Corporation's Western Division of Window and Door Facilities
- Miller & Martin Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA®
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- Miller & Martin Maintains Top Rankings in Chambers USA, 2015 Edition
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- Hugh Sharber Inducted as Fellow of the Chattanooga Bar Foundation
- Miller & Martin Maintains Top Rankings in Chambers USA, 2014 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Quickcue, LLC in Sale to OpenTable, Inc.
- Miller & Martin Represents Heritage Funeral Homes, L.P. in Sale to Carriage Funeral Holdings, Inc.
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Miller & Martin PLLC Maintains Top Ranking in Chambers USA, 2013 Edition
- Miller & Martin Represents Chattem, Inc. in the Sale of Bull Frog®
- Miller & Martin Represents Chattem, Inc. in Acquisition of Rolaids®
Serves on the advisory committee for the Tonya Public Affairs Internship Fund and the Judge Wilson Memorial Fund at The University of the South, funded by the Tonya Memorial Foundation which was established by the late Burkett Miller. Together the Funds have awarded grants to more than 1,600 students at Sewanee to fund public affairs and business internships since inception in 1981.