David has negotiated and closed business deals on behalf of his clients since day one of private practice. As deal quarterback, he regularly works with buyers, sellers, vendors, customers and investors, as well as brokers, accountants and other professionals, to understand key deal points, assess risks, bridge gaps between parties and efficiently drive deals to conclusion. David prides himself on being a responsive and strong, but pragmatic advocate for his clients, whether they engage in significant deals every day or just once in a lifetime. Business goals and decisions come first, and the legal ones follow, not vice versa.
David has extensive experience with lower-middle market business mergers and acquisitions in price from $1 million to over $300 million, in many industries. His clients have included private and public companies, private equity funds and sponsors, founders and multi-generation families. David also regularly helps technology companies bring their products and services to market and enter into key strategic alliances, and he regularly assists clients with complex software license, software-as-a-service and other IP/technology-focused agreements.
David, who is Vice-Chair of the firm's Corporate Department and chairs the firm's General Counsel Services practice, has worked as outside general counsel for numerous clients, coordinating litigation, real estate, intellectual property, estate planning and foreign legal experts where necessary.
Practicing in Texas for several years before moving back to Tennessee in 2012, his clients and deals have ranged across the U.S. and beyond.
M & A Deals
- Have represented multiple private equity funds, headquartered around the U.S., in a variety of significant platform acquisitions, including acquisitions of the following: (i) a leading ergonomics office products company, (ii) a multi-state urgent care clinic business, (iii) a national oilfield production components manufacturer, (iv) a leading paperboard packaging business, (v) a leading nationwide supplier of aftermarket automotive parts, (vi) an international leather products company and (vi) a nationwide debt collection company, among others.
- Additionally, have represented PE portfolio companies, other privately-held companies and publicly-held companies in multiple add-on acquisitions.
- Several representations have involved flooring products. E.g., represented nationwide hardwood flooring company in sale to major competitor. Represented publicly-held carpet company in acquisition of a complementary carpet manufacturing business. Represented flooring installation accessories company in acquisition of flooring provider.
- Many representations have involved services companies. E.g., represented sellers of metals toll processing and logistics provider in sale to public company acquirer. Represented PE buyer in the acquisition of a multi-national professional services information technology support business. Represented a privately-owned total facility management services company with nationwide scope in the sale of its business to a privately-held security services company.
- Have led teams of international attorneys in multiple complex deals, including the acquisition of a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of sporting equipment and apparel with worldwide operations, and the sale of an international industrial components manufacturer.
- Have also represented regional and small businesses, such as funeral homes, home improvement businesses, small manufacturing concerns, and propane supply businesses, and various family owner groups, in sales to larger competitors.
- Negotiated sale of privately-held social media company to large social media conglomerate, with unique purchase price components based on social media metrics.
- Assisted consumer products company in purchases and sales of worldwide rights to long-running, over-the-counter consumer product brands.
- Negotiated purchase of real estate services company and represented buyers in successful post-closing enforcement of indemnification covenants, getting purchase price reduced by 33%.
- Represented venture-backed software company in provision of software and services to multiple publicly-held financial institutions in multiple countries.
- Counseling publicly-held manufacturing companies on international joint venture distribution and supply arrangements with strategic partners.
- Represented technology companies in venture capital investments in their vendor partners and in other collaboration arrangements, such as referral agreements, subcontract arrangements and joint ventures.
- Negotiated various founder exits, company recapitalizations and venture capital investments on behalf of founders and companies, including financings involving Tennessee’s TNInvestco and Incite programs.
- Drafted and negotiated executive employment agreements, independent contractor service agreements and employee separation agreements, for a variety of clients.
General Counsel Services
- Counseling software-as-a-service companies with respect to contract-based relationships, including those with developers, clients and strategic partners.
- Representation of wealthy investors and institutional investors in private equity, hedge fund and venture capital investments.
- Represented founders of hedge funds in fund formation and financing.
- Negotiated buy-ins, buy-sell agreements, and terminations of professional practices of doctors, veterinarians and lawyers and other professional groups.
- Counseling with respect to private equity offerings, periodic Exchange Act filings and securities law compliance in connections with investments in private equity and hedge funds.
- Counseling with respect to registration of investment advisors and representatives with the SEC and state securities boards.
- J.D., with Honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2006
- B.A., summa cum laude, Philosophy, with Honors, The University of the South (Sewanee), 2000
- Recipient of the Wilkins Scholarship Award
- Recipient of the Hugh H. Caldwell Award for the outstanding graduate in the Philosophy Department
- Briefing Attorney for Justice Nathan L. Hecht, Supreme Court of Texas, 2006-2007 term
- City Scope magazine - Gold Club – Influential Business Leaders, 2017
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2013-2018
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, Law Practice Management Committee - Advisory Member, 2011-2012
- Manker Patten Tennis Club, Board of Directors
- Association for Visual Arts, Board of Directors
- Holmberg Arts Leadership Institute - Graduate, 2016
- Hunter Museum of American Art, Avant-art Steering Committee
- Manker Patten Tennis Club, Long-Term Planning Group
- St. Paul’s Episcopal Church - Member
- Business Investment Growth Austin (BiGAustin) - Former Volunteer Teacher
- Texas Community Building with Attorney Resources (Texas C-BAR) - Former Volunteer Attorney
- Texas Hearing and Service Dogs, Board of Directors - Member, 2009-2012
- Nomis Solutions General Counsel featured in Vanguard Magazine
- Miller & Martin Represents Home Health Care of East Tennessee in its Combination with Adoration Health
- Cathay Capital Receives 2018 Americas Private Equity Deal of the Year for Innovative Transaction
- Miller & Martin Represents All Metals Holding, LLC in Sale to Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co.
- 18 Miller & Martin Attorneys Selected to 2018 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Edge Magazine Highlights Miller & Martin’s Work with Startups and Emerging Businesses
- Miller & Martin Represents ERMC in the Sale of Its Business to SecurAmerica
- Nineteen Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2017 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Miller & Martin Represents US Floor, Inc. in Sale to Shaw Industries Group
- Miller & Martin represents American Trust Bank of East Tennessee in an Agreement to Merge with Citizens Bank
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Selected as 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Miller & Martin Assists Larsen MacColl Partners with Investment in B&B Franchise Group
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Mid-South Super Lawyers for 2015
- Miller & Martin Played Significant Role in Elevating the Chattanooga Entrepreneurial Community
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Mid-South Super Lawyers® 2014
- David Spiller Speaks at Webinar on "Buying and Selling a Small-to-Medium-Sized Business" as Guest Panelist
- Miller & Martin Team Completes Transaction of Chartwell Investments in the Acquisition of Easton Hockey
- Miller & Martin Represents The Dixie Group in Acquisition of Atlas Carpet Mills
- Miller & Martin Represents Heritage Funeral Homes, L.P. in Sale to Carriage Funeral Holdings, Inc.
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named 2013 Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- Miller & Martin Represents Chattem, Inc. in Acquisition of Rolaids®
- Six Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Members
David is an avid tennis player (and possible future “tennis parent”) and has worked as a professional artist specializing in oil portraits (though he has since retired, he remains open to commissions at his hourly attorney rate!).