Tom Hayslett maintains a commercial practice that covers real estate transactions, business-to-business commercial agreements, commercial finance transactions and general business counsel to closely owned enterprises. Tom’s practice includes representing buyers, sellers, developers and owners of retail shopping centers, office buildings, hospitality properties, manufacturing and warehouse facilities, and residential developments; as well as representing manufacturers, processors, professional service providers and other businesses in negotiating transactions and reviewing agreements amongst business counterparties in connection with the purchase, sale and leasing of materials, finished goods and services.
Tom places very high value on professionalism in all situations, clarity in communications and forward-thinking decision making that evaluates alternative courses of action, costs and benefits, and a broad range of consequences. Tom works hard at distinguishing between which issues are important to each particular client and its business model and which issues are of less concern to that client. Tom’s best client relationships exist where he gets to know his clients well--their values, business strategies and personalities--and is able to be a trusted advisor in a way that is tailored to those clients.
Tom previously served as Chair of the firm's Commercial Practice.
- Represented the seller of a national grocery anchored, health/wellness themed retail development consisting of over 90,000 square feet of retail space (plus developed outlots operating underground leases), more than 20 tenants.
- Represented the seller of a conventional enclosed mall property, anchored by national retail tenants, undergoing a substantial rehabilitation that included conventional financing for the acquisition and tax increment financing infrastructure improvements associated with the rehabilitation.
- Represents a developer of small to mid-scale solar power generation facilities in acquiring surplus industrial properties, converting portions of the properties into solar-pv units, selling the power generated into the public system, and developing, selling or leasing the remaining acreage for commercial/retail redevelopment.
- Works routinely with the in-house legal team of an international, large scale raw materials processor in negotiating and reviewing business-to-business contracts across a broad range of contexts, including sale or purchase of goods and services, sale and leasing of equipment, and shipment; and this includes regular collaboration with the client in managing best practices both for the process of contract legal review and for the maintenance of client preferred contractual terms and forms.
- Represents one of the area’s largest homebuilders in connection with acquisition of raw land, acquisition of partially completed/distressed developments and connection with general business matters.
- Represents an industrial equipment manufacturer in all aspects of business operation and management, including negotiating terms of third-party investment, negotiating terms of joint-venture and vendor contracts, and overseeing facilities acquisition and leasing.
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Georgia, 1997
- B.A., University of Virginia, 1994
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Real Estate Law since 2010
- Best Lawyers® - "Lawyer of the Year" - Real Estate Law, 2016
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars, 2010-2012
- American Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers – Member
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church - Elder, Trustee and Past Deacon
- Kiwanis Club of Chattanooga - Member and Past President
- Signal Mountain Christian School - Board Member and Past Chair of the Building Committee
- The House - Board Member
- Cornerstones, Inc. - Legal Counsel to the Board; Former Board Member
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Edition
- Miller & Martin Hosts Summer Wrap-Up Event for Chattanooga Legal Diversity Consortium
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- Eight Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® "Lawyers of the Year" for 2016
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- Miller & Martin Hosts "Pipeline Project" Panel Discussion for Students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Miller & Martin Hosts Panel Discussion on the Legal Profession with Students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
Tom Hayslett and his family are on a multi-year quest to visit as many national parks as they can.