Jessica Malloy-Thorpe focuses her practice in the area of business litigation, with an emphasis on labor and employment litigation matters. In her representation of employers, Jessica is experienced in preparing motions for summary judgment on discrimination claims and in mediating various employment disputes. Jessica is experienced in enforcing arbitration agreements, responding to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on charges of discrimination and responding to Department of Labor investigations. Jessica also advises employers under various employment laws, including Title VII, the ADA, FMLA, FLSA, USERRA and the WARN Act, among others. Prior to joining Miller & Martin, Jessica clerked for the Honorable Susan K. Lee in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee and the Honorable Susan L. Collins in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana.
A Florida native, Jessica earned her undergraduate degrees from the University of Florida as part of its dual degree program. In 2010, she graduated with her B.S., cum laude, from the Warrington College of Business with a major in Business Economics, as well as with her B.A., cum laude, from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with a major in Political Science. Jessica was recognized as a National Merit Scholar, a Florida Top Scholar, and an Anderson Scholar of the Highest Distinction.
In 2013, Jessica earned her J.D. from the Georgetown University Law Center, where she received the CALI Award for best exam in Torts and was recognized for her commitment to pro bono service.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2013
- Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law
- Co-Author, Hate Crime Regulation and Challenges
- Criminal Justice Clinic
- CALI Award for Best Exam, Torts
- Dean’s List 2011-2012
- James L. Waite Endowment Scholarship Recipient
- Georgetown Women’s Legal Alliance, Peer Mentor
- Exceptional Pro Bono Pledge Honoree – completed over 175 hours of pro bono service
- B.S., Economics; B.A., Political Science, cum laude, University of Florida, 2010
- National Merit Scholar
- Florida Top Scholar Award
- Beta Gamma Sigma International Business Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Anderson Scholar of the Highest Distinction
- President’s Honor Roll and Dean’s List, 2006-2010
- Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Award
- Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Committee
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Susan K. Lee, U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Chattanooga Division
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Susan L. Collins, U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Northern District of Indiana, Fort Wayne Division
- Southeastern Tennessee Lawyers' Association of Women (SETLAW)
- Chattanooga Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
As a student attorney with the Georgetown Criminal Justice Clinic during her third year of law school, Jessica represented indigent defendants in the District of Columbia Superior Court. Jessica obtained positive outcomes for her clinic clients, including winning at trial.