Scott McGinness concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, securities, investment management and banking. He has represented numerous companies in the purchase and sale of stock and assets, with transaction sizes in excess of $200 million, including transactions involving overseas entities. He represents publicly traded companies as well as privately owned entities.
Mr. McGinness heads the firm's Investment Management Group which advises broker-dealers, investment advisers, investment funds and others involved in the financial services industry. The group represents investment managers and entities which have in excess of $2 billion under management.
Mr. McGinness was a Lieutenant, J.G. in the U.S. Navy from 1970-1973.
- Represented a privately-owned total facility management services company in the sale of its business to a privately-held security services company.
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, 1975
- B.A., Dartmouth College, 1969
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Corporate Law, 2011 & 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Corporate Law; Securities/Capital Markets Law since 2005
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® 2006-2007, 2011-2012
- Chattanooga Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Board of Law Examiners, Board of Directors - President
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Chattanooga Rotary Club - Member
- Girls Preparatory School, Board of Trustees - Member & Former Chairman
- Town of Lookout Mountain, Tennessee - Mayor, 1996 to 2000
- 52 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers® List
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Edition
- 7 Chattanooga Miller & Martin Attorneys Awarded Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" 2019 Edition
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition Show more