Jim concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial, industrial and planned unit real estate, and in banking. He has represented developers, lenders, landlords and tenants in a variety of complex and multi-state transactions, and continues to relish the enjoyment of resolving issues to close a transaction successfully. He has led teams on transactions as diverse as the financing of the acquisition and development of a 1,300-acre parcel in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and a $300 million corporate headquarters facility in Tennessee. Working with other professionals to see projects “come out of the ground” has provided his most satisfying moments.
Jim Haley served as Chairman of the firm for eight years from 2012 to 2020.
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, 1975
- B.A., University of North Carolina, 1972
- Morehead Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Best Lawyers® - Real Estate; Banking & Finance Law; Securitization & Structured Finance Law, since 2010
- Best Lawyers® - "Lawyer of the Year" - Securitization & Structured Finance Law, 2020
- Business Tennessee Magazine - Best Real Estate Lawyers
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Real Estate, since 2006
- Business Tennessee - "Who's Who in Commercial Real Estate"
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Banking and Finance Law; Real Estate; Securitization and Structured Finance Law since 2008
- Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce - Board of Directors and Executive Circle Member, 2021-2022 Board Chair
- Chattanooga Bar Association – Former President
- Tennessee Bar Association - Committee Member
- The Baylor School - Former Trustee
- The Baylor School, Alumni Association - Former President
- Lookout Mountain School, Board of Directors – Former Chairman
- 17 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2021 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- 52 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers® List
- Jim Haley Shares Lessons on Leadership & Law as Chattanooga Chamber 2021-2022 Board Chair
- 15 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2020 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition Show more
Although an enthusiastic golfer and sightseer, his most relaxation comes from long walks with his canine friends.